Induction Soldering Fuse Caps With IGBT Induction Heating Units
Objective Soldering three fuse caps simultaneously to reflow lead free solder and make a joint between the fuse cap and fuse wire guide
Material Plated copper end caps 0.375” (9.5mm) OD x 0.375” (9.5mm) height, ceramic fuse tube 1.5” tall (38.1mm) , lead free solder preforms
Temperature 700 ºF (371 ºC)
Frequency 286 kHz
Equipment • DW-UHF-20 kW induction heating system, equipped with a remote workhead containing two 1.0μF capacitors for a total of 0.5μF
• An induction heating coil designed and developed specifically for this application.
Process A three position two turn helical coil is used to solder three fuse caps simultaneously. The fuse assemblies are placed in the coil and the heat is applied in three cycles at 3.5 seconds per cycle to reflow the solder. On the production line the bottom caps are soldered first. The fuses are filled with sand and without flipping the assembly the top cap is soldered.
Results/Benefits Induction heating provides:
• Consistent, repeatable results
• Precise & accurate heat application
• Hands-free heating that involves no operator skill for manufacturing
• Even distribution of heating