Induction Brazing Steel To Carbide Plate
Objective Brazing a steel piston valve assembly
Material Steel piston valve 4.5” dia (11.43cm), tungsten carbide plate and braze
Temperature 1350 ºF
Frequency 100 kHz
Equipment •DW-UHF-40kW induction heating system, equipped with a remote workhead containing six 1.0μF capacitors for a total of 1.5μF
• An induction heating coil designed and developed specifically for this application.
Process A five turn pancake coil is used to braze the piston valve and tungsten carbide plate. The assembly was heated for 10 minutes to flow the braze and join the two pieces.
Results/Benefits Induction heating provides:
• Rapid localized heat, which can minimize oxidation and reduce cleaning after joining
• Hands-free heating that involves no operator skill for manufacturing
• Clean and controllable joints
• Produces high quality repeatable parts