Induction Heating Wires For Hot Heading With IGBT Induction Heating Units
Objective To heat multiple steel wires to 1350ºF (732ºC) for hot heading application
Material Steel wire 0.185” (4.4mm) OD
Temperature 1350 ºF (732ºC)
Frequency 141 kHz
Equipment • DW-UHF-6 kW induction heating system, equipped with a remote workhead containing one 0.66μF capacitor
• An induction heating coil designed and developed specifically for this application.
Process A two turn channel coil is used to heat 12 wires at a time to reach the required 130 parts per minute. The wires are placed 0.5” (12.7mm) on center. The top 0.3” (7.6mm) of the wires are
heated for 5 seconds to achieve the desired temperature.
Results/Benefits Induction heating provides:
• Hands-free heating that involves no operator skill for manufacturing
• Elimination of springback effect
• Extended die life
• Better grain flow and microstructure
• Even distribution of heating