Brazing Joining Copper Connectors With Induction
Objective: Brazing a joint between a copper lug and nickel plated copper pins on a pressurized heater connector.
Material: 1.5” (38.1mm) dia heater connector in a ceramic insulator with L shaped copper lugs and nickel plated copper pins, silver solder and braze
Temperature 1175-1375 ºF (635-746 ºC)
Frequency 270 kHz
Equipment • DW-UHF-10 kW induction heating system, equipped with a remote workhead containing two 1.5μF capacitors for a total of 0.75μF
• An induction heating coil designed and developed specifically for this application.
Process A two turn helical coil is used to heat the copper lugs and nickel plated copper pins for 1 minute. A clamp is used in production to hold the copper lugs in place for brazing.
Results/Benefits Induction heating provides:
• Minimal transfer of heat to adjacent ceramic insulator.
• Hands-free heating that involves minimal operator skill for manufacturing.
• Flameless processing.
• Heat very small precise areas within production tolerances.
• Even distribution of heating.