Induction Heating Stainless Steel Rod For Hot Forming With RF Induction Heating Units
Objective Heating 300 series stainless steel rod to 1800ºF (982ºC) for forming application
Material 1” (25.4mm) length of 300 series stainless steel rod ¾ “ (19mm) diameter
Temperature 1800 ºF (982ºC)
Frequency 52 kHz
Equipment • DW-HF-25kW induction heating system, equipped with a remote workhead containing two 1.25μF capacitors for a total of .625μF
• An induction heating coil designed and developed specifically for this application.
Process A four turn helical coil is used to heat the stainless steel rod to 1800 ºF (982ºC) for 10 seconds. For manufacturing purposes a refractory shield should be used between the coil and rod to
keep the heat directed on the rod. Refractory shield was not used during testing.
Results/Benefits Induction heating provides:
• Hands-free heating that involves no operator skill for manufacturing
• Improved production rates with minimal defects
• Low pressure and minimal residual part stress
• Even distribution of heating