•Works like a transformer (Step down transformer –low voltage and high current )
– electromagnetic induction principle
Induction Heating Advantages
• No contact is required between the work piece and the induction coil as the heat source
• Heat is restricted to localized areas or surface zones immediately adjacent to the coil.
• Alternating current (ac) in an induction coil has an invisible force field (electromagnetic, or flux) around it
Induction Heating Rate
•The rate of heating of the work piece is dependent on the :
• Frequency of the induced current,
• The intensity of the induced current,
• The specific heat of the material (ability to absorb heat),
• The magnetic permeability of the material,
• The resistance of the material to the flow of current.