Induction Annealing Aluminum With High Frequency Heating System
Objective Annealing a 1” lip on aluminum cryogenic dewar that has been work hardened during the process of spin forming.
Material Aluminum dewar, lip has a 3.24” (82.3mm) ID and is 0.05” (1.3mm) thick
Temperature 800 ºF (427 ºC)
Frequency 300 kHz
Equipment •DW-UHF-10KW induction heating system, equipped with a remote workhead containing one 1.0 μF capacitor.
• An induction heating coil designed and developed specifically for this application.
Process A two turn helical coil is used to heat the lip on the cryogenic dewar. The dewar is placed in the coil and power is applied for 2 minutes to anneal the required 1” heat zone.
Results/Benefits Induction heating provides:
• Hands-free heating that involves no operator skill for manufacturing
• Fast, controllable, accurate heating
• High efficiency, low energy cost
• Even distribution of heating