Induction Heating Bolts And Nuts With High Frequency Bolts Heating Equipment
Objective Heating steel bolts to 1500ºF (816ºC) for thread rolling
Material H11 tool steel, A286 stainless steel, Titanium and 8740 alloy steel bolts of various sizes. Typical size is 1” (25.4mm) diameter, 1.5” (38.1mm) long
Temperature 1500ºF (816ºC)
Frequency 214 to 216 kHz depending on part
Equipment • DW-UHF-10kW induction heating system, equipped with a remote workhead containing two 1.25μF capacitors for a total of 0.625 μF
• An induction heating coil designed and developed specifically for this application.
Process A four turn helical coil is used to heat the shaft of the bolts to 1500ºF (816ºC). The 1” (25.4mm) diameter H11 bolts requires 30 seconds to reach temperature. The heating cycles
varies from 20 to 45 seconds depending on the size of the part.
Results/Benefits Induction heating provides:
• Faster cycle times and extended tool life with preheat step
• Hands-free heating that involves no operator skill for manufacturing
• Using same coil for various size blanks
• Stronger and more fatigue-resistant threads