Induction Preheating Blades And Knives With High Frequency Induction Heating Units
Objective Preheating various size blades and knives for garden tools
Material Steel pieces of various size 0.16” (4mm) thick
Temperature 1562 ºF (850 ºC)
Frequency 57-80 kHz
Equipment • DW-HF-15kW induction heating system, equipped with a remote workhead containing six 1.0 μF capacitors for a total of 6.0 μF
• An induction heating coil, designed and developed specifically for this application.
Process Three different coils are used for this heating application
• A two turn pancake coil for the blade
• A eight turn rectangular helical coil for the knives
Pieces are placed in their specific coil for heating. For the blades, the center hole must be heated to 1562 ºF (850 ºC) and for the knife 2/3 of the blade must be heated. Depending on the piece, the steel reaches 1562 ºF (850 ºC) in 13-19 seconds. After the metal is preheated it is press stamped.
Results/Benefits Induction heating provides:
• Hands-free heating that involves no operator skill for manufacturing
• Configurable heating profiles
• Faster process times
• Even distribution of heating